You bet. Web Design Workplace builds MultiSite WordPress systems where dozens of websites can run from a single control panel. Once the initial site is up, building new sites later is much faster and way less expensive. WordPress 3.x might be the most affordable web platform for multiple government sites.
Government websites have common requirements and they can be attained with old style HTML websites or the modern WordPress style. But of course there are advantages and disadvantages to every choice in the computer world. Lets look at some of the requirements and then look at how affordable we can make them by choosing old HTML or new WordPress.
- Security. The site must have an encrypted communications pipeline between the workstation and server. This is called “SSL” for the Secure Sockets Layer protocol. Also note that this SSL link must allow secure logins and also secure work on the administration area or dashboard. Not one or the other but both.
- Backups. There has to be a mechanism to backup the site and the data and to restore the backup quickly.
- Multi-Language Support. Many countries now require multi-language support at some level.
- Ease of use to add / change / or delete content.
- Provide alternate ways to read images for visually challenged readers.
- Add captioning for video and sound media.
- HTML does not provide it naively but it can be custom built in. It’s expensive and proprietary.
- WordPress has SSL capability build in. Except for the Secure Certificate which is needed at the server level, it’s free.
- HTML and WordPress can be backed up at the server level using common server backup mechanisms.
- WordPress allows MySQL Exports and XML post exports for finer backup granularity.
- HTML does not offer it. It can be done manually and it’s expensive.
- WordPress has numerous plugins both free and proprietary that translate posts. WordPress itself can be setup in about 50 different languages so the Dashboard is all in the native language.
Ease of Use
- HTML requires years of training and hands-on practice before modifications can be made to a page.
- WordPress allows non-technical people to add / change / or delete content. WordPress also allows non-technical users to change the entire menu system easily.
Provide Alternate Text for Images
- HTML allows this – but you have to be a computer programmer in order to write the HTML code or PHP language to actually implement it.
- WordPress allows non-technical users to add alt text to all the images from the Dashboard / Media center.
Which is a better option for Affordable Government Websites? WordPress is the winner in almost every category.